Sunday, January 15, 2006

Inn and out.



Because we are getting married in the US and most of Matt's family can't come, his parents offered to host a reception in the UK once we are back from Florida. They picked this really nice, quaint, and intimate restaurant close to Aylesbury called The Five Arrows. The restaurant is attached to an inn by the same name and is part of the Rothschild estate. I had never been there before so they thought it might be a good idea if we went out to dinner there to see if I liked it.

We went last night. The place is actually very pretty, very much a traditional English Inn. The food was amazing. I had a serrano ham, buffalo blue cheese and wine poached pears salad for appetizer. The main course was a fillet of beef with crayfish tails in a truffle sabayon sauce (or something like that) with potatoes and parsnips. It was the most tender, juicy steak I've had in a VERY long time. Dessert was a vanilla panna cotta with biscotti, very good too. This was the first time I'd been out with Matt's parents and it went very well. I think we all had a good time.

Then we went back to their house, where Matt proceeded to leave me alone with his mother and brother while him and his dad went upstairs to fix some computer issue. I was forced to make small talk and to answer an endless amount of questions. It was a bit uncomfortable because I am not much of a small talker but once again, it went well.

I remember how nervous I was when I first met them, but while I don't feel like that anymore, I am still not 100% comfortable around them. It's not them, it's me....really. I am just not a socializer. It takes a long time for me feel comfortable around strangers and that is technically what they are still. I hope I can get passed this, specially since they will be my family in law in just over two months.......scary.


All good things always come to and end.....Today it was time to fly back to Naples and once again leave Matt. After 10 months, it's still not easy.We we woke up and didn't to much, just had a lazy morning, had lunch, drove to the airport. Matt hung out with me for a while, trying to make the most of the little time we had. I was the last one to board the plane, which is very unusual for me so I got a crappy seat. Towards the end of the flight, just before we landed, I started feeling very airsick. Then it took forever for them to start letting people off the plane. I am usually the first person at passport control cause I know where to stand to avoid the crowds, but this time there was already a HUGE line when I got there. I was very nauseous, light headed and I was in desperate need of a toilet. I was feeling very week and I really thought I was gonna collapse. The line just wasn't moving thanks to a bunch of Eastern Europeans who were holding the line up, don't know why. Then an angel.....not really, an immigration officer came to mine line and took 5 of us. She got our passports, showed them to the other immigration officer, gave them back to us and let us go.

I made a beeline for the toilet. I put my bags down and wiped the toilet seat. In my desperation, I didn't notice there was something odd about the toilet bowl.....then I sat down (yes, I sat down) and thought...."What the f....?" The seat was squared. Who the hell ever thought of a squared toilet bowl and seat??? They are incredibly uncomfortable and just downright weird. After I took care of that, I was SO relieved. When you gotta go....... I don't know what it was because I didn't have anything dodgy, but who knows.

Now I am at home, all alone, 1000 miles away from Matt and hating it. What makes it even worse is that I don't even have my engagement ring because we had to it along with my wedding band to get resized because together they were too small. I feel naked.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sonja (Photographer/Owner) said...

Awww..sounds like a horrible flight..I don't think you were airsick..I think you were homesick for matt. Weird toilet.

9:32 PM  
Blogger ursula said...

Pretty soon you two will be married :) That toiled is strange.

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home