Thursday, May 11, 2006

Score!!!






After looking at several apartments, or flats as Matt would make me call them, and one false hope, we finally scored a place. The one I mentioned on my previous entry fell through but this place is even better, it is MUCH bigger. It is on the second floor (first European floor), the master bedroom is huge with big built in wardrobes, the second bedroom is decent sized for American standards which is big for UK standards. The kitchen is fairly big as well with brand new appliances, the fridge is hidden behind cabinet doors and the stovetop and oven are digital. The living room is huge too with what seems to be a working electric/gas fireplace. The right side of the living room is dominated by a huge glass window and the balcony is on the left. On the back side of the living room another space which would hold the dining room. We even have a decent sized private garden which WE are supposed to maintain......the horror!!!

Two things I have noticed about houses/flats/apartments in the UK are the bathroom and washer/dryer "issues". For some reason, a lot of places have a room for the toilet and a room for the bath/shower. They are almost always next to each other but still. All that is separating the two is a wall.....why not just take it down??? The purpose of this arrangement is beyond my comprehension.

The other thing is that most places have a washer.....but no dryer. What exactly am I supposed to do with a wet week's worth of laundry? Is it really that more complicated to install a dryer when you install the washer? Some places don't even have a balcony or anywhere else where you can string a line and hang dry your clothes, which by the way is not very good for your clothes. I guess it's all about what you are used to but it still doesn't make sense to me.

Tonight we have the deposit and we expect to get the keys and make it official next Friday. The place is unfurnished so we have to buy at least a bed before we can move in. It's been a good day :)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

June, Great news on finding an apartment and one that's bigger and better than the one you were looking at before!

As for the no dryer, most UK kitchens don't have enough room for it unless you have the dreaded washer/dryer combo thing. When we get one it'll have to go in the little room near our back door. Invest in a good expandable clothes airer - it'll drive you a bit nuts but it's better than using the radiators.

BTW, this is tanis from UK-Yankee. Any pics with your newly dyed hair? :)

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i don't know you at all, but love your blog. My question is why is the bloody washer in the kitchen anyway? Who washes in the kitchen? Good luck with your new place it looks grand.

12:33 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Trust me, I am moving to Wimbledon in 3 weeks and we already have our flat and (my fiance is british) I can not grasp the washer/dryer situation. At all! And he thinks it is perfectly normal :)

5:06 AM  
Blogger UKYankee said...

Hi..another UKYankee person (onetiger)...you get used to using the air drying racks. I have one that is up most of the time in our second bedroom or second bath. You can't really do too much laundry at once anyway, so drying racks (purchased at Argos by the way) work well!

Congrats on the new flat!

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new apartment.

Btw, you can always bug your landlord to upgrade to one of those washer/dryer combos. THankfully my place has one as like you I have no space to really hang anything for drying.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hon, flat looks great, can't wait to visit! Re: the fire - probably worth asking the landlord or letting agency whether they can provide proof of recent safety check - gas fires in rental properties can be a health hazard - I remember when I was in my university rental accommodation and some men turned up one day to check the one in my room, took one look and told me it wasn't safe and not to use it again or I might die. Seriously. I imagine your landlord has done the checks but ask to make sure.
Oh and about the tumble dryers - most people in their own homes have them but I have heard that landlords often don't provide them to renters because they need replacing too often - most inexpensive models don't last long at the best of times let alone with rough treatment by renters. I'd see if there's space to fit one and buy your own inexpensive one if I were you.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home