Sunday, April 02, 2006

Less Than Perfect




Yesterday, the ship took us to Holland America's private island in the Bahamas, Half Moon Cay. According to the shore excursions guy, this is the island where Christopher Columbus first set foot, but I wonder how many other islands claim that. The water was the most beautiful turquoise I have ever seen. It was a gorgeous morning and we had booked a jet ski "tour". After being ferried ashore, we were left in the dark as to what we were supposed to do so Matt assumed we were supposed to show at the place by ourselves so we followed the map. After a few minutes of walking we stopped seeing people around so I started to ponder that maybe we weren't supposed to go out there on our own and that we should have asked at the info desk what the hell we were supposed to do. I told Matt but apparently he misunderstood me and said that we were doing the right thing, his testosterone was just too much to admit that he was wrong and I was right. We argued and kept on walking. When we finally got to the place after about 10 minutes and about half an hour after we were supposed to, the woman at the hut told us we had to go all the way back to where we started from and check in at the information desk where they would put us on a truck back to the jet ski hut. I was so pissed and mad at Matt it's not even funny. He finally admitted I was right and started walking back to the info desk.

By this time I really thought we had completely missed the tour and that since everything else was booked they wouldn't put us on a later tour. I expressed how freaking pissed I was and the fact that we had missed the tour and he said "So, what do you want me to do, rip the tickets up and throw them away??" Uh? Luckily, we got back to the info desk and they checked us in and put us on a truck back to the jet skis. The ride was fun but longer than it absolutely had to be. It got pretty rough at times and I almost was thrown off the thing more than once. They had said it would be about 30 minutes long but it was in fact longer, we were out there from around 10:00 AM till about 10:50 AM.

This brought on a whole new issue. At first, we had booked a beach cabana for this day because we wanted a place with shade, drinks, etc but at $200 for the day, we decided it was just too expensive. We cancelled the cabana and booked a clamshell shade instead, that was $9. Yesterday, we were supposed to claim the clamshell by 11:00 am or they would give them out to people on a first come first served basis. So, with the jet ski thing lasting till 10:50 am and having to wait for the truck to take us back, we didn't make it to the clamshell claiming place till 11:05 am. We thought we'd still make it but no luck. Turns out the they had run out way before 11:00 am. How can this be?? We had prebooked it! Well, they had two ships in port and they had over-booked the stupid clamshells. Once again, I was freaking pissed. Nothing was going right and I just wanted to say "F%&@ it!" and go back to the ship. However, Matt said no and we found a shady spot under a tree for him to lay down. I stripped down to my swimsuit and headed for the water....EEK!!!! It was freezing! But I really had to pee so I braved it and went in hip deep. After lunch and a couple more hours of roasting in the sun, we went back to the ship exhausted.

The cruise was fun, for the most part, it had good and not so good moments but it was real. It wasn't a fairytale honeymoon where people have sex all day long and gaze into each other's eyes when they are not having sex, but it was real, it was us, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Unfortunately, all things must come to an end and we disembarked today. My parent's picked us up and gave us one of their cars. My thighs are sore from the jet ski and I can hardly walk. And the one negative side effect of a cruise, I stepped on the scale and I have gained almost 10 pounds since the wedding 13 days ago. Weight Watchers, here I come!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home