Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

In trying to keep some of the American traditions I have grown used to, I decided I was gonna celebrate Thanksgiving the right way. Even if it was just Matt and I. I planned the meal a couple weeks ago and shopped for the ingredients on Monday. I was able to find canned pumpkin puree so I didn't have to make that from scratch, which would have been pretty difficult since pumpkins are not easy to find here, at least not edible ones.

After going on a failed mission to find a glass pie plate and a simple white tablecloth, I came home around noon and started to cook the meal. First the pie, a Toffee Pecan Pumpkin Pie. That took a while. After I put the pie in the oven I went out again to look for a tablecloth one last time. I didn't find what I was looking for so I had to settle for what they had.

I came back home and got to cooking again. I spent the entire afternoon in the kitchen. I must have washed pots and pans at least 3 times. That's a first, I hate doing the dishes. The meal wasn't difficult to make, just really time consuming. Just when I thought I had gotten away without cutting myself with a knife, I ran my right pinky finger over the blade of the knife I was carrying to the table to cut the pie with. It wasn't deep though, it could have been worse. The table was set and we were ready to eat a roasted turkey breast, mashed potatoes, stuffing made scratch, green beans with bacon, cranberry sauce and the pie. The table looked like this:



We gave thanks then ate. After having slaved in the kitchen for hours, the meal was devoured in 15 minutes. I guess that's the nature of the beast. The food was great, specially for my first time. The pie was really good and Matt loved everything. I'm happy with how things turned out. This is what the table looked like after we were done:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home