Monday, January 23, 2006

Sex, drugs and Amsterdam........NOT




Matt is always having these totally insane ideas and then convinces me they are not so crazy. I got up at 5:30 am on Saturday and worked all day then got a plane to London and didn't get to bed until about midnight. Then Sunday morning we got up at 5:00 am and, as one of Matt's crazy ideas, we hopped on an 8:10 flight to Amsterdam for the day.

The flight was a short one, only 35 minutes, so we were in Amsterdam by 10:15 am GMT+1. We were supposed to meet a group of people at noon but we were there an hour early. This whole thing was for a photographer get-together from one of the photography sites we frequent.

It was an ugly, dull, gray day.......not to mention freaking freaking freezing. We started walking around and then after a while ducked into one of the many cafes.....not the ones that serve hashish mind you. Some had beers, others just sat around, chatting, shooting, etc. After a while we got going again and shot some more. We came across this small plastic baby doll on the street, everyone took a turn at shooting it and then I picked it up and kept it. It's kinda freaky looking but I've always wanted a travel mascot and what better mascot than something you picked up while traveling? It has small wings on its back but according to Matt it looks freakish so I think I'm gonna name him Memnoch, after Anne Rice's Memnoch the Devil.

There these weird looking bollards, rather phallic. I didn't notice it until someone else pointed it out but it was rather obvious. Some of them even had little holes on the tip. I thought I'd be funny and I started stroking one as if I was giving it a handjob. With so many photographers around, the moment was immortalized in digital images. It was pretty hilarious actually LOL.
After walking some more, we came up to the Red Light District. For the first time in my life I smelt weed. We walked past a group of guys smoking. I guess now I know what it smells like. Then we got to the main event.......the girls.

It was rather amusing. They sit or stand half naked behind their glass doors, in rooms lit only by red lights. They stroke themselves as people walk by, sorta showing them what they are missing. The ones on the "normal" section are very pretty girls (for the most part). Then there's the fat girls area, the old women, and the transsexual. We only got a "highlights" tour but to be honest, it wasn't quite what I expected. Granted, we went past when it was still light out and we only walked through a few streets, but it really wasn't what I had expected. I guess I was expecting it to be much wilder, raunchier, more in-your-face. But it wasn't. I was bummed we couldn't take pictures but I guess pimps don't like it and I didn't particularly wanna end up in a red room behind a glass window myself. When we walked by the transsexuals, no one actually told me that's what they were but I did notice they looked rather masculine. Some of them looked like they were still packing.

After that we went to another bar and stayed there for quite a while. We talked about lots of things, laughed, had a great time. We had had lunch earlier but it was time for dinner again, specially since we had to be at the train station at around 8:30pm to go back to the airport. After much debate and some more walking, we went into an Argentinean steakhouse because they were advertising all you could eat spare ribs for 14.90 Euro or something like that. The meat was great and the company excellent. We didn't really want to leave but we had no choice.

Once on the plane, I took a short nap before landing in London. I was totally exhausted and my feet hurt like nobody's business. We got home around 11:30pm and went straight to sleep.

I don't know how I let him talk me into this insane daytrip but I will never do it again. Not only did we not see anything really but we spent all that money for just one day. We had fun, but it would have been much better if had been able to stay longer. I'd like to go back to Amsterdam sometime in the spring or summer, when it's not so gray and depressing.

2 Comments:

Blogger mike fairbanks said...

Ok, Ive only got one question, how the hell do you get to be 20 something yrs old, and never smell weed before????!?!?!?

1:03 PM  
Blogger June said...

Mike.....by being a very good girl ;)

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home