Wednesday, March 22, 2006

It's All Been Done




Yesterday was just unreal. It started out as a very quiet day and remained so until around noon, then the craziness started and the day was over in the blink of an eye. I woke up at around 8:00 AM and just couldn't fall asleep again. I hung around and just relaxed till almost noon when the hair and make up lady arrived at my hotel room. We got to it right away. By the time she was done with my hair and make up it was already pretty crazy, and then the photographers arrived...at the same time as the florists with the flowers...then it got REALLY crazy.

The flowers were beautiful, gorgeous, exactly what I wanted. I loved my bouquet. The photographers started taking pictures of my shoes, jewelry, garter, etc and then of me pretending to put make up on a what not. The the time to put on the dress came, that was a trip! They photographed and videographed the whole thing. We took pictures and video for the next hour or so until about 3:35 PM, just after my dad and my step dad arrived, half an hour late! I was pissed but I let it go. My mom, my dad and I got into the limo and headed for the church. The limo driver didn't know how to get to the church so I had to should directions from the back seat until my dad took over. Ridiculous. On top of that, he was braking so hard that I got nauseous and I thought I was gonna throw up if we didn't make it to the church soon.

We finally got to the church and they helped me out of the limo. I didn't realize it would be so difficult to sit, bend over and get in and out of a car in a wedding dress. We went into the church through a side door and my dad and I waited in the Bride's Room until it was showtime. Mind you, we got there with 5 minutes to spare so the waiting wasn't long. The coordinator lined everybody up and when the music started playing, she came and got us to join the line.

That's when I first cried. I was holding my dad's arm behind the closed curtains and had to lift my thigh length blusher to wipe my tears, which in return, made my dad tear up as well. Canon in D started playing and the mothers and bridal party started walking, then the music changed to Trumpet Voluntary and it was my turn. I held my dad's arm tight and looked straight ahead. I swear I didn't see anybody. I don't even remember looking at anything but Matt. I didn't actually look around and at who was there until I was already on the last step of the altar and the minister had started talking.

When I got to the end of the aisle, they played the first solo. So, for two minutes I stood there, holding my dad's arms wiping my tears every now and then and staring at Matt. Those were the longest couple minutes of my life. Once the solo was over my dad handed me over to Matt and we walked up the steps together. We held hands and the ceremony started. I can't remember most of what the minister said because I was too busy looking at Matt and whispering stuff to each other......and smiling. My feet were killing me!

When we got to the vows part I totally lost it. I read the first word and I was sobbing so bad I couldn't read and the tears were clouding up my vision and I couldn't actually see the words. I kept saying "I can't see, I cant see" Finally I got a hold myself and was able to read the vows, but I was sobbing the whole time. Matt had brought some tissues in his pockets and gave me one so I could wipe my tears.....so sweet :) When the time came for him to say his vows, I was all smiles. They were just music to my ears. I also had to wipe his tears once or twice. The best part of the ceremony was the kiss. We were overly dramatic and did the dip. It was cute and everyone loved it.

By the time the ceremony ended, I couldn't stand my shoes anymore so I took them off and did the formal portraits barefoot. It was such a relief. We did lots of photos in the church and then went outside where people were waiting with bells and bubbles. It was really cool. At this point, we were planning on heading to South Beach for some photos and we told the limo driver to take us there, however I don't he heard me and he took us to the ceremony. I was a bit upset but it turned out great because we didn't really have enough time for the South Beach plan. Instead, we did lots of photos at the Rusty Pelican and the beachy part close to it.

The cocktail hour started at 6:00 PM and we made our grand entrance at around 6:50 PM. It was great. We did our first dance and then got seated for a slideshow one of our friends had made for us. The Best Man gave his toast and dinner got served. We did all the traditional stuff, ate, danced, and fun. My feet were in so much pain that I decided to go barefoot and only put my shoes on when I had to, for things like the garter removal. I with I had brought comfortable flip flops or something. 55 people had RSVPed "yes" and only about 35-40 actually showed up so there were a lot of emtpy chairs. I was upset because it was a lot of wasted money but then realized that it was their loss and the important people were there. It turned out just fine because our very amazing vendors got to eat the same delish meal as us as opposed to club sandwiches, and let me tell you, they deserved it!

I just can't believe how quickly the day went by after noon. It seems like it was just the blink of an eye. We were so busy taking pictures, talking to the guests and having fun that we lost track of time. All those months of planning and agonizing over little details just gone! All in one day. My mom says everyone kept saying how great a wedding it was and how good the cake was. I am pleased with the way the day turned out but it was very, very, very exhausting. Some girls say they wish they could live in that day forever, but I cannot say the same. I had the time of my life and I am not sorry I did it but I never want to do it again.


PS. In case you were wondering, we were too exhausted to consummate the marriage last night, but I assure you it has been done ;)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

June, sounds like a wonderful day!
Congrats again to you and Matt!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Bernard Shuford said...

Congratulations! :)

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home