Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Strawberries and Lies




A couple of days ago we decided to drive by the pick-your-own farm just a few minutes away from here. They had strawberries but it was just too hot to be in the field. I decided to go back today and get some fruit. It was overcast but I decided to risk it and headed out. As soon as I set a foot on the field it cleared up and the sun came out. It was hot and I was wearing jeans, not a good combination. I picked a small basket full, but quite honestly, I think I ate half as much while picking. They bigger ones were alright but the smaller strawberries were deliciously sweet, like I hadn't had in a long time.

Walking on the field felt a bit funny, I am a self proclaimed city girl and I kinda felt like I was cheating. It also reminded me of the funny way things work out sometimes. In Cuba, during the 7th, 8th and 9th grades the schools takes the kids to the country to work in the fields for about a month. I went when I was in the 8th grade and I didn't really wanna work. Now, twelve years later, there I was, walking into a field of my own free will. There was no one telling me I had to. There was no feeling of discontent or anything of the like. It was just me, just a girl exercising her right to pick her own strawberries just because SHE wants to. Call me a nut, but that's how it felt.

On a different note, I was reading the forums of a website I frequent when I saw this link. I had a look and I was amazed at how much work went into enhancing these images. Really impressive. Then I saw the one of Heidi Klum. I was blown away, I was in shock, I was in awe. Who the heck needs plastic surgery when you have digital retouchers like that??? I is incredibly misleading to have women like this in magazines. It is portraying something that doesn't really exists. They are making an average woman into something most of us will never be and then selling it as being the real thing. The before and after images are the sort of thing that needs to be shown to bullimic and anorexic girls all over the world so that they realize that those models are not real and that women don't' really look like that. This is a very sad situation in my eyes but I guess it pays their bills. Well, at least it makes ME feel a lot better to know that Heidi Klum has saggy boobs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home