Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Serendipity

A few days ago I decided to look at my high school's website to see if there was anything there about my 10 year reunion in 3 years, I was just curious. There was nothing about the reunion so I decided to look a the alumni from my graduating year to see if I recognized anybody; I didn't. Then I decided to look at the rest of the years I was there in I found my best friend from high school whom I haven't seen in over 5 years. My heart skipped a beat. I got her email address and sent her an email. For days I kept checking my inbox to see if she had replied but nothing. I was starting to think she's never reply. Then today, bam!, there's an email from her.

She gave me her phone number and I called her. We talked just for a little while because she was at work but that was enough to make all the memories to come rushing back into my head. It's amazing how long 11 years really is, but I still remember when we met. Amazingly enough, I was a freshman and she was a senior, not your usual best friend combo. For a long time we were like sisters and she knew everything I did and I knew everything she did (sometimes more that I had bargained for). Even after she graduated we remained close friends for years. As with most friendships, we grew apart, not because we wanted it that way but because there was such an age difference between us. Four years seem like nothing now but in your teens, 4 years is a lot. When I was 17 or so she got married and moved away. We saw each other occasionally but not like before. Then, when I was 19, I joined the Navy and moved away and I hadn't seen her or heard from her since then. My mom lost contact with her too and I have been trying to find her for a while with no luck, till now. It was pure serendipity this time, I guess this is when it was meant to happen. I haven't had a close friend like that since her and I am really glad that I found her again. Maybe we can pick up where we left off, maybe we'll have to work on it to get back to the way it used to be, either way I'm prepared to give it a go, even if we do live oceans apart.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home