Monday, February 13, 2006

Boredom, Day One

Not much going on really.......which really sucks. This morning I had my first muster and I was told I was missing my HIV test so I went to the medical clinic and got that done. Luckily, I had done everything else in Naples. In the afternoon we had a briefing with PSD and they told me I'd check out of here on the 24th, so I'll be here for almost 2 weeks. I wasn't thrilled, specially since they won't let me take the few days of leave I have. They are forcing me to sell them back.

That was done by 1:30 pm and I had the rest of the day to myself. I tried killing time by getting online but I was bored so I decided to go downtown. I wanted to see the USS Wisconsin, the largest battleship ever built by the US Navy and it is permanently moored downtown. Twenty minutes and a $20 cab ride later, I found out they are closed on Mondays. I wasn't pleased. The cab had left so I thought I'd might as well walk around a bit. I took some pics and then went into a mall type structure that was deserted. All of downtown Norfolk was deserted. What a disappointment. I had a late lunch/early dinner and got another cab back to base. I am $60 poorer and it was badly spent money. I don't think I'll go back when they are open, I can't afford another $40 worth of cab rides. At least I got to see a couple 7 Elevens :P

I get the feeling this is gonna be a VERY long 12 days. By the way, I have been taking pictures, I just can't upload them because there isn't a single wifi hotspot in this bloody base.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home