Friday, February 10, 2006

T -1

I had set up my alarm for about 8:20 am today since I had to go to the motor vehicle office to get the final signature on my check out sheet. I was hoping to get some decent rest but that would not happen. At 7:06 am my phone rang and it was my boss. Turns out I had failed a room inspection the day before and the Command Master Chief wanted him to reinspect today. I said fine, I had to finish cleaning for the final inspection tomorrow anyway. I went back to sleep and I was having a rather pleasant dream when the phone rang again. It was 8:00 am this time and it was the night crew section leader telling me that the reinspection would be at 1:00 pm. I told him no, I had to do administrative stuff in the morning and I wouldn't be ready by 1:00 pm. We finally settled on 3:45 pm (notice I am writing in normal time format as opposed to military time, I'm trying to get used to it again now that I'll be a civilian in 15 days). I tried to take another nap but I just couldn't fall asleep so I just rolled around in bed till the alarm went off.

I got to the car place and it was pretty busy so I had to wait a little. Turns out they had overcharged me for my plates and gave me a 40 Euro refund, not too shabby. I got my signature, my stamp and left. Next stop was personnel at the hospital. There they signed in their spot, gave me some crappy letter of appreciation for having served in the hospital blah blah blah and gave me my service record. The next and final stop was PSD (Personnel Support Detachment). They collected my check out sheet and some other paperwork, made some phone calls and gave me my plane ticket for tomorrow......yay!

I still had to do some more cleaning so I went ahead and did that. Scrubbed the tub, cleaned the microwave, the toilet, the works. I even did some laundry. I wanted to finish packing everything except for the clothes I'm wearing so I started putting things in the suitcases. Only then, I noticed one of the suitcase's zipper was starting to rip. I decided I had to get another one because I'd rather spend the money than have that suitcase just rip open in transit and lose all my stuff.

The inspection didn't happen at 3:45 pm but at 1:30 pm instead because I was done cleaning early and he had duty all night so was very eager to go home. He didn't see anything wrong with my room. That was just so stupid though.

I am now at the mall again but when I get back to my room I have to transfer all the stuff from the broken suitcase to the new one. That's gonna be a bitch, but then I'll be all packed and ready to go. The last thing I'll have to do in the morning is pack my toothbrush, soap, comb etc and strip the bed.....then that's it! I still can't believe tonight is my last night in Italy. In the back of my head I still think that this isn't real and that I am dreaming and will be woken up at any time. Maybe it will hit me tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home