Thursday, April 05, 2007

Died And Gone To (Designer) Heaven.

Yesterday was one of those days you just don't see coming. It started out just like any other day except I decided to bug Matt (again) about "letting" me buy some shoes I had been lusting after for a while. The shoes in question weren't any old shoe mind you, they were incredibly expensive Manolo Blahnik and Christian Louboutin respectively. After hours of sweet talking without actually saying the words, he agreed and off we went to Chelsea and Knightsbridge.

The Manolo Blahnik store closed earlier so we went there first. We took the tube down to South Kensington and somehow he convinced me to walk (it's quite a walk, don't do it!). On the way there, I was a nervous wreck; at one point on the tube, I almost burst into tears. How sad is that? I had been waiting for this day for so long that it just didn't seem real that I was actually on my way to come face to face with the creations of the shoe god himself. All these just for a store; a very exclusive boutique mind you, but still, just a store.

We got there and of course, we had to ring a bell to be let in. I was there and I really couldn't believe it. I didn't know what to do with myself or even worse, how to behave. I was expecting the attendants to be snobby but they were quite the opposite. They treated me very nicely and sure made me feel welcome. I had a look around the store and, much to my horror, I was pretty disappointed with the selection. I wasn't looking for day shoes, I wasn't looking for trendy shoes; I was just looking for a nice pair of d'orsay pumps or something classy like that and...alas! they didn't have any. Turns out, as the attendant kindly informed me, this is the store where God, I mean, Manolo Blahnik experiments with new stuff and that I'd have better luck in the US.

Nonetheless, I tried on some shoes which the attendant happily put on my feet; they were so incredibly light that it almost felt like I was barefoot. They weren't right for me so he showed me another pair he thought might suit me better but again, failure. I have to say, I was gutted, gutted beyond any gutted feeling I had ever had before. I felt my little heart just shatter into tiny pieces as I walked out of that shrine empty-handed. The service on the other hand, was superb. I was the only customer in the store which made the experience a lot more surreal. Again, the attendant was great and treated me with great respect even though I didn't "look the part" and was wearing my clunky Clarks clogs. He even informed me that they change all their stock twice a year, in February and then in August and that I should come back in August and see if I had better luck. Well, I sure as hell will!

After this bittersweet experience, we took a taxi to the slightly less exclusive Christian Louboutin boutique. We got there and there was one other customer who had several boxes of shoes spread out on the floor, mostly espadrilles....to each their own. Looking at the shoes on display was almost like a visual orgasm. No other shoe has ever exuded so much sex appeal as the va-va-voom red sole beauties. They were everywhere, all heel heights and even different colors. I had my heart set on a black pair of pumps because I think the red soles are better highlighted by black uppers. I tried on several pairs but they didn't have my size in the really hot shoes, which is understandable as I have a pretty common size feet and those are the most popular shoes they have.

I tried a pair of black pumps with 120mm (4.7inch) heels that were just sex toys for your feet. I had never in my life worn hotter shoes. I had never in my life felt so incredibly sexy. Matt said I should definitely get those because they were HOT! As my luck would have it, they were a bit too tight in the front. The attendant said that patent leather gives but I don't know just how much and that's a lot of money to spend on a pair shoes that may or may not fit after a couple of wears. I ended up buying a pair of kid skin peep toe mary janes with a 100mm (4 inch) heel that while not as sexy, as very nice and fit quite comfortably. We paid (don't ask how much) and of we went. I was clutching that bag as if my life depended on it and I had a HUGE grin on my face.

I wanted to see if Harrods had those sexy heels in my size (they didn't) so we walked there as we were pretty close. On the way though, I got distracted walking down Sloane Street, by the likes of Jimmy Choo, Prada, Chanel, Gucci, Roberto Cavalli, Louis Vuitton, Versace, Fendi, Hermes and countless others. I had never seen so many designer boutiques lined up like that. Heck, I had never seen many designer boutiques to begin with! I kept wishing I had married a millionaire! It's tough to walk by so many nice stores and not be able to buy anything. It's like taking a kid to a candy store and telling them they are not allowed to have any candy, not even a piece. In my next life, I will marry a millionaire and live in Knightsbridge. In the meantime, all I can do is lust after those ever elusive Manolo's and admire my gorgeous Louboutin's. Come think of it, I think I will be getting those 120mm pumps after all.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home