Sunday, June 11, 2006

Crazy Day

Yesterday I assisted a photographer during a wedding for the first time. I was pretty nervous because I didn't kow what to expect or what he expected of me but it turned out fine. I was at the location 10 minutes prior to the time I was told to be there at and he was half an hour late. We did a lot of running around moving the gear from the car and then chasing the bride and groom. No one seemed to know what the hell was going on and the bride kept changing her mind about whether she wanted pictures of her getting ready or not. When we were finally told to come up to her room, we knocked on her door for probably 5 minutes and on one answered. We came across her mom who got somebody to call her and tell her we were there. She told whoever she talked to "we are upstairs taking video". Of course, no one knew where "upstairs" was. Turns out it was on the second floor of her room.

We finally got inside and it was just pure mayhem. The photographer managed to get a couple pictures of her amidst all the craziness, then it was time to go to the ceremony, which didn't give us time to take the shots we wanted. Again, her fault, not ours. The ceremony started 15 minutes late and the room was half empty. People kept filtering in even while the recessional was going on. Incredible. Then we went to the courtyard to get some formals done, but only after hanging around the lobby for a good 15 minutes and having to literally pull the bride and groom outside. People would just not leave them alone. Even as the formals were being taken people kept walking up to the couple and wanting to talk. The bride wanted some shots around the hotel but that never happened because she also wanted a picture with EVERYONE at the wedding! We had assembled the lights before the ceremony for the inside formals and we didn't even use those. The photographer says that was one of the most disorganized weddings he's ever photographed. I went home at about 6:30pm.

Even though it was a crazy day, I enjoyed it. Now more than ever I want to get out there and shoot weddings. I love weddings and I want to help people remember theirs through great photography. This is the profession for me, no doubt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home