Monday, July 03, 2006

FBI Profiler

Matt and I went to his bank today to make his account a joint account. They collected some documents from us and had him fill out a form, no big deal. I decided that since I was already there I might as well open an account for myself so I can use it for the business money. They collected documents again and have me fill out a 13 page application. Opening a bank account here is what I imagine an FBI interrogation to be like. The thing is, it wasn't even a credit card, just an account so that I can use MY money. I really don't understand why they make it so hard for people to open a checking or even a savings account. You'd think they'd be eager to take your money, right? Just one more nuisance.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, just went thru this last week. I had to make two trips, because the first trip, they wanted to see my marriage cert, and see proof that I lived where I live. The only 'offical' mail I recieve is my IRS mail. Well, that wasn't good enough for the bank. Even tho my husband has had an account with them in excess of 15 years! In the end, hubby got assertive with them, (because I was about to cry, lol), and brought up how he was told by the officals on the phone, that it was the bank managers discreetion to open an account for me. In the end, I left with my account, but I felt like I was a criminal or something. It really sucked :(

So don't feel bad, they put us all thru the interrogation. The bank manager even admitted that it was because I was 'foreign' that he was skeptical that I actually live here. Like, why on earth would I want to open a stupid bank account if I didn't live here? The Home Office letter saying that I have 'indefinate leave to remain' wasn't even good enough for him at first. Grrrrrrr, don't even get me started.

Now I have to sort out getting an NIN. Gulp.

Teri

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home